3 months old!
things of note-
* For the most part Charlie is sleeping at night. Most nights he will sleep 8-9 hours at a time, which means that I can feed him before I go to bed then again in the early morning. Occasionally, he wakes me up around 3:30 or 4 but even then it’s not really all that bad.
* Charlie is smiling and cooing ALL of the time. Honestly, he is his the happiest baby I know- we are lucky, lucky, lucky!! (see the video at the end of this post!)
* Just within the last week or two he has discovered his hands and tongue. They are super fascinating and frequently he will send long periods of time (for a 3 month old) staring at them, putting them in his mouth or licking things.
* He laughs, like a real laugh… it’s not really deliberate or at anything in particular but he laughs and it melts my heart none the less.
* He really started noticing the things and people around him. Frequently, he will watch me, Jamie or Jay when we walk past him and will follow us when we walk through the room. He notices when we leave and when we come back and he usually gives us a huge smile when we return.
* He is a thumb sucker. He will take a paci but prefers his thumb by far and he is actually getting pretty good and finding it on his own. It is not unusual for me to put him down to nap with a paci and come back to find him sucking his thumb instead. I guess we will have one of each- one paci kid (Jay) and one thumb sucker…
* He likes being sung too. I don’t have a stellar voice by any means but he giggles and grins when I sing to him. Some of his favorites right now are the Itsie Bitsy Spider sung by Jay and Do Your Ears Hang Low.
* He LOVES his bouncy chair. Jay never much took to it but Charlie will spend long periods of time just hanging out in it. He takes in the sights around him and is happy as a clam just softly bouncing in it. When he gets really excited and happy he can really make that thing go.
* Just like Jay, he prefers sleeping on his tummy- shh, don’t tell the Doctor, this is really against the rules! We aren’t supposed to leave him unattended on his tummy right now per the doctors orders. But he will sleep for such a long time on his tummy so really who am I to argue? He also goes to sleep very easily and he likes to have a blanket to sleep on. Just today he was kind of fussy before going down for his nap until I put a blanket over my shoulder and he snuggled down into it. I hadn’t realized until just then that he prefers that blanket being there.
* Charlie likes to be able to check out what is going on and to see what is happening which means he likes being upright- either up on your shoulder or facing out, lying down is for eating and unless he is doing that lying down is unacceptable. I think that this may stem from when his acid reflux started. He was uncomfortable when he was on his back (because of the reflux) and so he got used to sitting up and he also got used to being able to see and now he doesn’t like it any other way.
* He still really likes being warm- if you snuggle this little boy up I would be very surprised if he didn’t fall asleep. When he is snug as a bug he just crashes. He also likes to eat/rub/put blankets in his mouth- frequently the edges of his blankets are damp because he has been sucking on them.
* He adores watching his big brother Jay and Jay Bird really does dote on Charlie. Jay will stand in front of his bouncer and talk to him or cover him with a blanket. Frequently, Charlie “talks” to Jay deliberately- I mean he looks right at Jay and starts cooing and talking like he is trying to start up a conversation with him. It’s so sweet to watch them together and I love that they are already friends. I really can’t wait to see how their relationship will grow as they get older.
* Being tired… finding dislikes for this little guy is honestly a stretch. There is not much that truly makes him unhappy although he really doesn’t like to be tired- does anyone though? Usually, if he is fussy it means that he is tired and needs to go down for a nap and will crash on your shoulder shortly…
* He’s also not a huge fan of tummy time. I find that he is either completely sacked out when I put him on his tummy or fussy- no real in-between. Although, I have been propping him up on the boppy pillow during some of his tummy time and this seems to help a bit. But again, even though I say it’s a dislike it’s pretty much a stretch.
also… if you aren’t family you may be bored with this little video but feel free to watch anyway if you want. Jamie and I are apparently “those parents”, you know the ones that post and share videos of their kids doing next to nothing and claim it as the most amazing/adorable (fill in the adjective here) video around :)
3 thoughts on “today i am…”
He’s adorable- I love hearing him talk!
WOW, three months already. Where does the time go? I agree, he is a super second baby, so happy and relaxed!! The video is precious!!
Kristen, you have a great ability to write your thoughts down to share with us.. One of these future days, Charlie, as well as Jay, will enjoy reading and seeing the pictures and videos.. I know how much grandma and I enjoy them now.. Love ya.. Great Grandpa Jim